Friday 13 April 2012

What a week...

It's been a short week, but also inversely a very long week...
It's never easy being a single parent, and I'm sympathetic of all those out there that are full time single parents. I am lucky, my wife is simply on a business trip as is so common now for both of us. But the appreciation of managing a hard working life and bringing one little monster up is absolutely apparent to me.
I've built processes into the daily routines now that a major manufacturing facility would be proud of. I've adopted LEAN management in the kitchen for breakfast, using Six Sigma in the Bathroom for control, and the standard of time keeping and documentation is to ISO levels.
I've not shadow boarded the coat rack yet, but it is tempting...
Evenings are just as tough, you have to scoot to Nursery and then be the entertainer and feeder till bedtime... then and only then can you get back to the important emails and work that's been avoided in this necessary distraction...
I try not to let it impact productivity, but it does mean midnight to one AM often appear before I get to sleep... I am not alone I fear...
What can we do about it? the very reason for human survival is to invest in our children and provide for them, but part of that investment needs to be quality time, and quality interaction. That's why this last week for me has been such a wonderful experience. Just me an the young-un... work hasn't suffered... I have, and I don't just mean Nursery-bubonic-Flu....it's a breeding ground. But the work is moving at a fantastic pace, I've got projects to plan for, business to develop... Its exciting, it will mean that clean technology will push through the smog of 300 years of hydrocarbon Co2...
And that is my investment to the future of my family...I want my child to be happy and say 'Daddy did something for the environment we live in'.
So yes it's hard work, yes the hours are tough, yes being a parent is tricky, but the pay off will be massive in so many ways... so here's a cheer to all hard working parents, single, married, co-habitating, what ever, there's alot to do and no-one else is gonna do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment